The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skills and competence to prevent and control infection within the health services area. The learner will study the basic principles of infection and the application of standard precautions in relation to infection control, to include the significance of an area of infection control, in providing a healthy environment for patients, staﬀ and visitors.
This Skills to Advance Programme is developed by Kerry College in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
Why should I apply?
• Explain the basic principles of infection, how to apply standard precautions to control infection, and the significance of the “Area of Infection Control” in preventing and controlling infection.
• Employees in a range of workplace settings wishing to up-skill.
What will I study?
- Basic Principles of Infection Control
- Micro-organisms & the Chain of Infection
- Predisposing factors to Healthcare-acquired infections
- Infection Control team members - role and functions
- Cleaning, disinfection and sterilisation
- Blood borne viruses
- Role of antibiotics
- Hand hygiene
- Local terminal cleaning procedures
- Outbreak management
- Management of spillages and wastes
This is a free Skills to Advance course. Certain eligibility criteria will apply.
Courses are offered subject to demand. Limited places available on certain courses.
What's the certification?
QQI Level 5 Minor Award Certificate in Infection Prevention and Control (5N3734)